Tallahassee Counseling Center provides a broad spectrum of services addressing various life problems and stressors including:
ADHD / ADD Evaluations and Treatment
- Evaluations for children who are in 1st through 8th grade
- Counseling for those diagnosed and coping with ADHD/ADD
- School observations
- Assistance with 504 plan / IEP Planning
- Medication monitoring in collaboration with the Primary Care Physician or Psychiatrist
- Adoption has a lifelong impact on those it touches, and members of adoptive families may want professional help when concerns arise. Timely intervention by our therapists skilled in adoption, attachment and trauma issues often can prevent concerns from becoming more serious problems.
- Therapists can assist both parents and children in day to day skills adjusting to new environments.
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Panic Disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Trichotillomania (hair-pulling disorder)
- Separation Anxiety
- Selective Mutism
- Social Anxiety (social phobia)
- Specific phobias
- Attachment refers to the ability to form emotional bonds and empathetic, enjoyable relationships with other people. Sometimes these connections are interrupted by trauma and insecure attachments early in life.
- Therapists work to address and overcome negatively reinforced behaviors and ideas in order to build a positive emotional connection that can be safe and secure.
Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Because core challenges are unique for each child, interventions vary depending on the specific needs of the client.
- Therapists can help families and those with a diagnosis work on:
- Social skills, communication and daily living skills
- Behavior plan for home and school
- Advocacy for school support and/ or accommodations
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)
- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- School problems
- Teach parenting skills to help decrease problem behaviors in children or power struggles in parent/child relationship
- Skill building with children & adolescents to enhance self-esteem and strengthen coping skills
- Enhance interpersonal relationship skills and teach emotion regulation
- The definition of divorce adjustment varies for all families. The therapists will work with the children, as well as parents, in order to resolve conflict, emotional distress and communication difficulties.
- Clients of Tallahassee Counseling Center must agree that any and all court proceedings related to the client and his/ her guardians will not involve the therapist testifying or providing statements. This directly interferes with the therapist role and the client relationship.
- We can provide recommendations for professionals that provide specific services like parental coordination and parental evaluations. Please contact our office staff for these resources!
- We work with all parts of the family, to address the individual and family treatment needs. This includes parents, couples, parent-child relationships, and sibling relationships. We will help build skills to enhance communication among family members or we will facilitate communication among family members, within sessions.
- If appropriate, multiple therapists in the office can work as a team, treating separate family members, in order to address the challenges within the family.
Major Depressive Disorder
Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder
Persistent Depressive Disorder (Dysthymia)
Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder
Bipolar II Disorder
With the various Depressive Disorders and Bipolar Disorders, usually a combination of medication and individual counseling helps to decrease symptoms of Depression or manic episodes. We will work with the individual and the family to help build skills to manage emotion regulation, assess for safety and decrease risks associated with thoughts of suicide, and increase distress tolerance skills. We will also assist in the monitoring of medication for those that are taking medication. We can be in communication with the prescribing medical doctors, as needed.
We do not have Registered Play Therapists in our office. Although our therapists often utilize games and toys as techniques to build rapport, trust and communication, we cannot offer traditional play therapy. Please contact the front office staff for resources to obtain play therapy recommendations!
In response to COVID we have expanded our services to include virtual sessions for our clients. Most insurances now allow us to bill for that service, however please speak with your insurance provider prior to a virtual visit in order to confirm that it will be covered.